Many people associate diet with starvation. As soon as they decide it’s time to shed some pounds, they drastically limit the amount of food they eat and hope for the best. Unfortunately, after a few days of maintaining this new – very unhealthy – pattern, the body starts to rebel. No wonder – it needs the calories to survive.
Decreasing your caloric intake by half overnight is the worst strategy you can apply, because – believe me – no one is able to maintain such regime for a long period of time. Your body will simply make it impossible. Not only will you not lose any weight. On the contrary, your body will store the fat ‘in case of emergency’ (the emergency being not having enough energy to go on). As a result, you will feel miserable throughout this ordeal you’re putting yourself through.
If you’d like to lose weight in a healthy and effective way, here are a couple of tips from our Spring Hill Dietitian, Susan:
How can our Spring Hill Dietitian help you lose weight?
If you want to lose weight, the best possible approach you can adapt is moderation. You have to understand that things won’t just magically happen overnight. All good things take time! Any drastic strategies simply won’t do – your body is not designed for fasting, not eating enough calories or pushing it to (or beyond!) its limits. All you need to do is take small steps on this journey to weight loss.
Think of all the small changes you can make in your usual lifestyle; changes, that are going to benefit your health and are easy to maintain. Here are a couple of examples from our Spring Hill Dietitian:
- If you usually take 2 teaspoons of sugar in your tea or coffee, try 1. At first your beverage may seem a bit bitter but after a week your taste buds will get used to it and you will enjoy the taste!
- Make sure to have some vegetables or fruit with every meal. They’re healthy, contain almost no calories and they fill you up for longer as they are rich in fiber.
- If you like snacking, take care of the quality of your snacks. Homemade potato chips or popcorn taste just as good as the store-bought (if not better!) but they are much, much healthier and lower in calories.
- If you don’t normally exercise, try something nice and easy at the beginning, just to get your body started and get used to your new lifestyle. Try the 7-minute-workout (youcan find that online) or simply take a 20-minute walk around your block.
- Give up alcohol. It’s the best thing you can do for your health and weight. Alcohol is extremely caloric and harmful to your body (after all, it is a poison), and mixed with those fuzzy colorful and sugary drinks, it’s a match made in hell. Stay away from that – or at least reduce your intake – if you want to keep your stomach flat.
Contact our Spring Hill Dietitian for more information
As you see, dieting isn’t about turning your life upside down. You don’t have to sacrifice everything in order look and feel good. After all, what is the goal if losing weight? You want to feel great in your body and you want to be healthy to enjoy your life longer. It’s counterproductive if you make your life miserable in the process, right? Take our Spring Hill Dietitian Susan’s word – change your approach to dieting and you will change your life.
If you’d like to find out what else you can do to keep your losing weight efforts fun, contact us today – we are looking forward to helping you!